NASA has issued an update about the leak that was discovered on the International Space Station a little more than a month ago - and it suggests the event is not as serious as some have feared. This information was also confirmed by the director of Roskosmos, the state-owned state Russian space agency, Dmitry Rogozin, speaking on the first channel of Russian television.
"This conclusion does not necessarily mean the hole was created intentionally or with mal-intent", NASA said.
Lander spacecraft Soyuz MS-08 is one of Russian Federation cosmonaut and two American astronauts returned to NASA from the worldwide space station to Earth. Last month, the Russian newspaper "Kommersant" had reported that in an investigation, this possibility was detected that American space travelers had holes deliberately so that a sick colleague could be sent home.
NASA denied to comment on those remarks at the time. "Highlights included an investigation to study ultra-cold quantum gases using the first commercial European facility for microgravity research and a system that uses surface forces to accomplish liquid-liquid separation", NASA said.
Powers said in a statement that, "No one is saying, and certainly NASA is not saying, that it was deliberate". They will launch October 11 on the Soyuz MS-10 spacecraft from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan for a six-month mission on the International Space Station.
The spacewalkers also replaced components of the space station's cooling system and communications network, and installed new wireless communication antennas for external experiments.
A NASA astronaut and a Russian cosmonaut are due to launch next week to join three astronauts who remain in the orbit.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine will attend next week's Soyuz launch and plans to meet with Rogozin to discuss the highly sensitive matter.