When 10-year-old Wesley Smith suffered second- and third-degree burns while trying to replicate a "Hot Water Challenge" video he saw on YouTube in 2016, his stepfather had a warning for parents: "Watch what your kids are doing on the internet,"Jimmy Daugherty told CBS 17".
Kyland Clark and his friend were looking up the challenge on YouTube when they made a decision to prank each other.
The so-called "Hot Water Challenge" is exactly what it sounds like: Users on the internet boil hot water, then pour it on themselves or unsuspecting friends.
Following Indianapolis teen, Kyland Clark (unwittingly) partaking in the dare, WXIN reported the boy being left with second-degree burns following a friend pulling a prank on him last week.
According to doctors, they are seeing more patients being taken to emergency rooms due to viral internet challenges.
The teen was admitted to a local hospital, where he remained under treatment for a week.
The unsafe viral prank, which has sent a handful of children across the country to the hospital - including one death -over the past year usually consists of either drinking boiling water through a straw or pouring it on someone while they are sleeping, like what happened to Clark. The "challenge" involves drinking boiling water through a straw or pouring it on a friend.
- YUTAONO (@OYsekaowa1D) July 28, 2018Kyland Clark Indiana teen hot water challenge gone wrong: extent of injuries. Ki'ari Pope and her cousin had allegedly been watching videos of the challenge, and the scalding hot water caused fatal injuries to her throat.
"To see my baby, all burnt up like that, it was heart-breaking", she said.
"If your friends are telling you to do this, they aren't good friends", Dr. Ed Bartkus, of Indiana University Health, was quoted by Fox 59 as saying. "Don't take it overboard", Kyland said. "My son could have died", Andrea Clark said. Kyland's doctors say he should heal and his pigment should be back to normal in a few months.