Suspected members of Islamist militant group Boko Haram have killed 15 people in an attack in the northeast Nigerian city of Maiduguri, a state emergency agency official says.
This is the biggest attack since the Nigeria government announced they were engaged in dialogue with the militant group.
"We have repeatedly said they have been sufficiently decimated and these decimated monsters berks in the oxygen of publicity they are targeting soft targets, senselessly and criminally opening fire on innocent souls". Some civilians were caught in the cross-fire and about 70 injured, a source involved in rescue operation said.
Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State, is the birthplace of Boko Haram, whose almost nine-year fight to establish a hardline Islamic state in northeast Nigeria has claimed at least 20,000 lives and displaced more than two million people.
"The insurgents met with stiff resistance of troops who killed six of the insurgents and neutralised seven suicide bombers in the encounter".
His statement read, "A 14-year-old Boko Haram insurgent, Rawa Babagana, has surrendered to troops of Operation Lafiya Dole". The troops also recovered 2 AK 47 rifles and 2 Magazines.
Last Friday, at least one resident and four teenage girls reportedly wearing suicide bomb vests were killed at the settlement of Zawuya, also on the city's outskirts.
"Fifteen persons including a soldier have so far been confirmed dead in the encounter, while about 83 persons who suffered varying degrees of injuries are receiving due medical attention", said army spokesman Colonel Onyema Nwachukwu. "Troops are still on the trail of the insurgents", said the statement. The insurgent escaped from Boko Haram enclave in Kekeno around Lake Chad Islands. He is now been profiled.
The government has not disclosed which elements of Boko Haram it was in discussions with, and neither was it clear which faction carried out Sunday's attack.
Nwachukwu warned residents to remain watchful and report any suspicious people or activity to security officials.