Yobe attack: No school girl has been rescued - Governor Gaidam

Share

Yobe attack: No school girl has been rescued - Governor Gaidam

Three days after suspected Boko Haram fighters attacked a school in northeast Nigeria and kidnapped dozens of schoolgirls, local officials have apologized to parents for mistakenly announcing that some of the students had been rescued.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari claimed in December 2016 he had technically defeated Boko Haram, weakening the group so much that it would only be able to carry out isolated suicide bombings.

Parents and guardians of the missing schoolgirls in Government Girls Technical College Dapchi, Yobe, broke into tears when governor Ibrahim Gaidam visited them without saying a word on the whereabouts of the girls.

"We have not forgotten the tragedy of the Chibok girls from four years ago, when 276 girls were abducted by Boko Haram militants". In a surprising twist, the state government yesterday apologised for misinforming the public with its claim that the girls were rescued.

Recall that the Boko Haram terrorists had attacked the girls' college on Monday and abducted numerous girls.

Dapchi, about 275km (170 miles) north-west of Chibok, came under attack on Monday, causing students and teachers to flee into the surrounding bush.

The names were personally submitted to the school's authorities by the parents of the affected students, according to the Chairman, Forum of Parents of the missing Dapchi Girls, Mallam Bashir Manzo. But anger fumed after Yobe Governor Ibrahim Gaidam told villagers a day later that the girls were still missing, Reuters reported February 22.

Yobe's police minister said that 815 of the school's 926 students had later returned to the school.

As confusion persists over the abduction of about 110 girls from Government Girls Science Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe state, by elements of Boko Haram terrorist group, THE WHISTLER has learnt from a highly placed government official that the government was averse to admitting it was an abduction. "It is possible that a different faction operating in Yobe state would use the girls for bargaining eventually, since we've seen that being done with the Chibok girls".

Residents say that Nigeria's security forces - backed by military jets - later repelled the attack.

"The Federal government may have inadvertently created a thriving and profitable business venture for the armed boko haram terrorists by constantly paying heavy ransoms to free Chibok kidnapped school girls".

The longer these questions remain unanswered, the more likely we will have another heartbreaking situation on our hands. They have killed some 20,000 people and displaced millions of others.

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.