Yemen cholera cases reach one million - ICRC

Share

Yemen cholera cases reach one million - ICRC

"With suspected cases of cholera reaching about 1 million, it is a very serious indicator and confirms the warning of the International Committee of the Red Cross of the tragic humanitarian situation in Yemen", Hazem said.He emphasized that the "disastrous situation" has had impacts on all vital sectors such as the health.

Yemen is now engaged in a war against Houthi rebels, who the USA and Saudi Arabia allege are supported by Iran.

According to the United Nations, Yemen is experiencing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world, with 8 million citizens on the edge of starvation. The incidents of the waterborne disease started in October 2016 and flared up in April, claiming the lives of over 2,000 people.

In the eight months or so that cholera first began spreading in Yemen, the waterborne disease has put a bad toll on the war-torn country's population - a whopping one million have caught it.

The ICRC said on Wednesday said there were one million suspected cases.

Marc Poncin, the emergency coordinator for Doctors Without Borders (MSF) in Yemen , told AFP that cholera mortality rates had been on a downtrend in recent months but that the disease was far from vanquished.

More than two years later, the war rages on with no end in sight.

The humanitarian crisis in war-torn Yemen rages on as the year comes to a close and the problem with infectious disease outbreaks continue in lock-step as part of the crisis.

Suggesting that there is a political settlement possible, Lenderking says it is possible for the Shi'ite Houthi movement in Yemen to be included, but says they'd have to stop "menacing" Saudi Arabia, citing two missiles fired at the Saudis.

More than 80% of Yemenis lack food, fuel, water and access to healthcare.

Saudi Arabia and a group of its allies have been bombing Yemen since 2015 to put its former Riyadh-friendly government back in the saddle.

Washington, D.C. (U.S.), Dec 22 (ANI): The United States has welcomed an announcement by a Saudi-led coalition to keep the Hodeidah port in Yemen open for a month and allow humanitarian aid to flow through.

A view of cranes, damaged by air strikes, at the container terminal of the Red Sea port of Hodeidah, Yemen November 30, 2017.

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.