Weinstein 'derailed my career' Sorvino says after Peter Jackson claim

Share

Weinstein 'derailed my career' Sorvino says after Peter Jackson claim

Judd and Sorvino are among dozens of women who have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct.

"I recall Miramax telling us they were a nightmare to work with and we should avoid them at all costs".

Sir Peter Jackson has claimed Harvey Weinstein's response to allegations he banned the director from casting Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is "insincere". In his new rebuttal, which came out Friday morning, Mr. Jackson includes his wife in a detailed explanation of exactly how decisions are made in Hollywood-through a studio funnel. The indirect denial feigning innocence and ignorance of any issues with either actress or their respective concerns, came in a statement that said, "While Bob and Harvey Weinstein were executive producers of the film they had no input into the casting whatsoever". Mira previously praised Jackson for confirming her worst fears about a smear campaign, tweeting: "Just seeing this after I awoke, I burst out crying".

In the Stuff interview, Jackson referred to the Weinstein brothers as "second-rate Mafia bullies" and said he decided not to work with them again. She says it is confirmation that Weinstein derailed her career. "They weren't the type of guys I wanted to work with - so I haven't", he said.

"The Miramax smear campaign [was] in full swing", Peter Jackson said. This was probably in 1998.

Jackson added, "I now suspect we were fed false information about both of these talented women - and as a direct result their names were removed from our casting list". To not continue and star in their movies much past that doesn't make sense. Amongst the many names raised, Fran [Walsh] and I expressed our enthusiasm for Ashley Judd and Mira Sorvino. Now, Peter has released a statement to Deadline, claiming that whilst Weinstein was not involved in the final casting, his claims that he had "bad experiences" working with Ashley and Mira meant that going forward, Peter ruled them out of the running.

It added that Sorvino called Weinstein earlier this year to ask if her husband, actor Christopher Backus, could be cast in the TV series "Six" that he was producing "and Mr. Weinstein cast him". Both actresses have claimed their careers were ruined by Weinstein after they spurned his unwanted sexual advances.

In the latest allegations to surface Friday, actress JuJu Chan told Variety magazine Weinstein's Asia associate Bey Logan had made unwanted sexual advances ahead of the production of The Weinstein Co.'s 2016 film "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny".

Logan, a consulting producer with The Weinstein Company and a friend of Weinstein, denies the allegations.

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.