Sweets - Candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods are sweetened with xylitol which causes more insulin to circulate through a dog's body.
Fat trimmings - Fat trimmed from meat, both cooked and uncooked, can cause pancreatitis. The Christmas celebration could create a health problem for your dogs.
Researchers at the Institute of Veterinary Science at the University of Liverpool studied records from 2012 to 2017 supplied by 230 veterinary practices around the UK. Another was treated for poisoning after gulping down a hot chocolate drink, the study found. Luckily for the poor poochies, none of these symptoms were considered life-threatening.
Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine, which is similar to caffeine.
Vets are preparing for a spike in cases of chocolate poisoning over the next week - with advent calendars, chocolate Santas and Christmas decorations all seen as a tasty targets by your dog. They specifically focused on chocolate poisoning-related visits, finding 386 such cases involving 375 dogs.
The results showed dogs were more than four times as likely to be brought to the vet for eating chocolate at Christmas time than non-holiday dates.
"Chocolate ingestion has a unique seasonal pattern which merits highlighting this risk to clients", the authors wrote in the conclusion, "particularly in the run-up to Christmas and Easter as chocolate becomes more accessible within the household".
Warning: Dogs are more at risk for chocolate poisoning during the merriest time of year.
"It's important that owners are aware that chocolate is potentially toxic, especially to dogs", Radford said.
When a vet receives a dog exposed to chocolate, the usual course of action is to administer vomiting-inducing medication to flush the chocolate out of the stomach. "And also before they contact their veterinary surgeon to have an estimate of how much chocolate and what type of chocolate the dog has eaten", he added.