The symptoms of the 21 United States embassy personnel harmed included "hearing loss, dizziness, tinnitus, balance problems, visual complaints, headache, fatigue, cognitive issues and difficulty sleeping". It's unclear who is behind all of this.
Senior State Department officials said embassy employees had been "targeted" for "specific attacks", a significant change from previous characterizations of what happened as simply "incidents".
The move comes nearly a year after USA diplomats began reporting unexplained health problems ranging from hearing loss to mild traumatic brain injury to cognitive disruption to brain swelling.
No one has any idea what is going on or what could be causing these problems.
Officials are citing "health attacks" against Americans on the island, and demanding Cuba assure the safety of USA citizens. The source also stressed that the attacks did not occur at the US embassy.
"Due to the travel warning issued by the U.S. Department of State for travel to Cuba, JetBlue will waive change/cancel fees for customers with reservations booked on or before September 29, 2017", the airline announced. Some of the diplomats reported hearing loud noises or feeling vibrations when the incidents occurred but others heard and experienced nothing.
The official said that some of the apparent attacks were carried out in hotels, and appear to have affected just the diplomats staying there, and not other guests or hotel workers.
Those reports, however, did not surface until August when authorities began to suspect the use of an advanced covert sonic device. So far, Washington is not blaming the Cuban government for the attacks but has made it clear it's unhappy about how Havana is handling the case.
Do authorities have any theories about the cause?
Trump says Cuba 'did some bad things' aimed at US diplomats
Likewise, he stated that, according to the preliminary results obtained by the Cuban authorities in their investigations, which have taken into account the information given by the United States authorities, there is no evidence so far of the cause or the origin of the health disorders reported by the U.S. diplomats.
How have USA officials and leaders reacted?
Mr Vidal, in a briefing on state-run television, added Cuba was still keen to continue active cooperation with US authorities to clarify what happened.
"We have it under evaluation", Tillerson said. "We've brought certain people home, it's under review". "We must do all we can to solve this mystery so that our embassy personnel can safely return as quickly as possible".
The warning was prompted by mysterious attacks that have affected US embassy employees in Havana, resulting in dizziness, cognitive issues and other symptoms.
The move will not only affect Cuba's tourism, which is a critical component of its economy, but also set back the delicate reconciliation between the two countries that endured a half-century estrangement till 2015, when former President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro restored diplomatic ties.
"We always advise our hosts and guests to check for any travel warnings or travel advisories that may apply to their plans".
"Consistent with USA law, our operations in Cuba will continue", Airbnb spokesman Nick Papas said. The embassy in Havana will lose roughly 60 percent of its USA staff, and will stop processing visas in Cuba indefinitely, the American officials said.
Could these mysterious attacks put a damper on U.S. Relations between Canada and Cuba have always been warm. "Cuba remains one of the safest countries to visit in the world for American citizens".