'Sea Eye' German NGO Suspends Migrant Rescue Missions in Mediterranean After MSF

Share

'Sea Eye' German NGO Suspends Migrant Rescue Missions in Mediterranean After MSF

"The reason for this is the changed security situation in the Western Mediterranean, after the Libyan Government announced an indefinite and unilateral extension of their territorial waters - in connection with an explicit threat against the private NGOs".

"Under these circumstances, a continuation of our rescue work is not now possible".

The workers manning the boat didn't think twice about rescuing a bunch of alt-right creeps who meant to do harm to the vulnerable people the Sea-Eye swore to protect.

Nearly 600,000 migrants have arrived in Italy over the past four years, the vast majority setting sail from lawless Libya in flimsy vessels operated by people smugglers.

Libya has restricted the access of humanitarian vessels carrying out rescues in worldwide waters, as part of a bilateral attempt with Italy to control the flow of illegal migration across a Mediterrenean channel between the two countries.

This was what set off a signal to other boats in the nearby area, but not asking for help, he said.

"European states and Libyan authorities are jointly implementing a blockade on the ability of people to seek safety", Brice de le Vingne, MSF's director of operations, said.

On Saturday, the Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres, MSF) worldwide humanitarian group also announced the suspension of the search and rescue activity of its biggest ship in the Mediterranean, the Prudence, because of "increasingly hostile environment for lifesaving rescue operations".

A Spanish humanitarian group, Proactiva Open Arms, said the Libyan coast guard ordered its rescue ship to move north and fired warning shots last week when the vessel was involved in search-and-rescue work outside of Libyan territory.

Libya was trying to increase the range of the waters its ships controlled from 12 nautical miles around its coast to 70 nautical miles, the humanitarian organisation said.

The C-Star has been plagued with problems since its mission began last month.

Funded by Internet-collected donations of more than $212,000 (180,000 euros), the Austrian, French, German and Italian activists on board have vowed to ensure migrants rescued at sea off Libya be returned to Africa.

The message echoed one transmitted Thursday by the Libyan navy, which has banned any unauthorised foreign ships from entering the SAR zone off its coast.

The vast majority of those reaching Europe this year have landed in Italy, according to the International Organization for Migration.

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.