Moscow Mule mugs banned in Iowa over copper poisoning fears

Share

Moscow Mule mugs banned in Iowa over copper poisoning fears

The next time you order a Kentucky mule or a Moscow mule in those fancy copper mugs, you might want to reconsider.

Iowa's health advisory warns that a Moscow Mule drink served in a copper mug could turn acidic enough for it to become a hazard to the person who consumes the drink.

The pH of a traditional Moscow Mule is well below 6.0. These items include vinegar, fruit juice and the Moscow mule, the pH level og which falls far below the standard.

The vodka drink traditionally comes in a copper mug. Using the FDA's guidance on prohibiting the serving of foods below a PH of 6.0 in contact with copper, the group issued a stern warning to bars and restaurants.

Copper poisoning, similarly to lead or other metal poisoning, occurs after a period of exposure.

The Alcoholic Beverages Division said explained that when copper and copper alloy surfaces get in contact with acidic food, the copper may leach into the food, which can cause copper poisoning characterized by symptoms that include diarrhea, stomach pains, vomiting and yellowing of the skin. According to food poisoning attorney Bill Marler, it would take years to ingest a unsafe amount of copper by drink drinking Moscow Mules alone.

It says copper mugs with an inner lining of another metal, such as nickel or stainless steel, are safe to use and are widely available.

"You're at more risk for alcohol consumption", Marler said.

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.