BBCI: Kim Wall: Danish submarine was 'deliberately sunk'


BBCI: Kim Wall: Danish submarine was 'deliberately sunk'

Before the hearing was closed, the courtroom was packed with Danish and Swedish reporters and the 46-year-old Madsen's relatives.

Mr Madsen appeared calm during an interview with Danish television shortly after the submarine sank, saying: "I am fine, but sad because Nautilus went down".

The submarine was Madsen's third attempt at building such a structure and was the largest privately built submarine in the world at the time of its launch.

According to a statement Wall's family shared with CPJ today, the 30-year-old Swedish-born journalist, who was based in NY and Beijing, was working on a story about inventor Peter Madsen when she went missing.

The journalist's boyfriend alerted authorities on Friday morning that the sub, named the UC3 Nautilus, had not returned to Copenhagen as expected.

The submarine is lying in 7ft of water, but divers have not been able to enter it safely yet, police said.

But Mr Moller said it appeared that the sub was intentionally sunk. Just after being located, Mr Madsen was rescued and the submarine suddenly sank.

"Whether the woman was on board the submarine at the time of her disappearance is unclear", Danish police said without naming her.

However, Swedish police said later on Friday they were investigating the whereabouts of a missing woman who had been on the submarine at some point. "But I guess that was pretty good, because I otherwise still would have been down there".

"We're still hoping that we'll find Kim Wall alive, but we are preparing ourselves for the fact that she may not be", Mr Moller said yesterday.

It is believed a search will be carried out once the vessel has been towed to port later today. "Diving, no matter the method, is very challenging and it*s technically hard to go to beyond where rubber suits and scuba gear can take us".

According to a timeline compiled by police, on Thursday at about 7 p.m. local time (1700 UTC), the sub departed Refshale Island, a former industrial shipyard transformed into a creative hub, for what was supposed to be a short trip. It was spotted by a lighthouse in Koge Bay, a seaport south of the city, at 10:30 a.m.

Madsen "told us he had technical problems" to explain why the submarine failed to respond to radio contact, Damgaard said.

"(He) came up again and stayed in the tower until water came into it" - before swimming to a nearby boat as the submarine sank, he added.



© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.