Explosion outside US Air Force recruiting office under investigation

Share

Explosion outside US Air Force recruiting office under investigation

The FBI, the ATF and local authorities said they are investigating an explosion at a U.S. Air Force recruitment office in Bixby, Okla.

"We can confirm that we have taken into custody a person of interest in regard to the bombing at the USAF Recruiting Center last night", the FBI's field office tweeted.

The recruiting office was closed at the time and no one was injured. Federal Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessi Rice on Tuesday said there had been "no conclusion" yet on the intent and weren't calling it an act of domestic terrorism.

Roden served active duty Air Force starting from April 2012 through October 20, 2014, then served in the Air National Guard. An initial report suggests that the device responsible for the blast may have been a pipe bomb.

Debris after an explosion at a recruiting center in Bixby, Oklahoma. The office is situated in a commercial area that also houses small businesses, restaurants and financial planning firms. "We're just working it as a criminal investigation with an explosive".

Bixby is about 15 miles (24.1 kilometers) south of Tulsa.

"It's a little bit comforting that they didn't want to kill anybody", FBI Special Agent Jessi Rice said at a press conference.

In a statement, the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said, "While device origin and motive is not known at this time, the site of the explosion is a military office".

At this point, it is not clear what Benjamin Roden meant by the post.

The FBI did not respond to a request for information.

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.