Borussia Dortmund angry at UEFA after bus bomb attack

Share

Borussia Dortmund angry at UEFA after bus bomb attack

Three explosions hit the Borussia Dortmund team's bus as they left their hotel for on their way to a UEFA Champion's League quarter-final first leg against Monaco at the Westfalenstadion on Wednesday, injuring their player Marc Bartra.

Flying glass from a shattered window broke the wrist of one of their players, Marc Bartra.

"It is hard to speak about but only because in the world a lot of things happen in this moment, a lot of really difficult-to-understand things, and as smart human beings we all think about this".

"We would have wanted to have more time to digest all of this".

They have requested an arrest warrant to be able to hold the man, named only as Abdul Beset A, over his Islamic State links.

JURGEN KLOPP admits he feared for the worst after discovering that Borussia Dortmund's team bus had been bombed in a terror attack.

Klopp says he understood why the game went ahead, but believes the decision-makers would not have made that choice had they been in the bus themselves.

"It's really, really hard to find a date in this really tight schedule because when would you want to play the game?"

"The decision to play the match today at 18.45 [local time] was made last night at BVB stadium in cooperation and complete agreement with clubs and authorities", Uefa communications director Pedro Pinto told the Associated Press (AP).

"I encouraged everyone to take the game seriously but football is not the most important thing in the world". We are outside of the bus, Marc [Barta] gets driven away in an ambulance, and we are informed about the decision.

It is understood UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin made it clear no one should play if they did not want to and that there were five Dortmund representatives at the discussions with the governing body. "That gives you a feeling of powerlessness".

Tuesday's first-leg match was postponed and rescheduled for Wednesday, with Monaco winning 3-2.

Dortmund return to Bundesliga action this weekend when they take on Eintracht Frankfurt.

"In France, we know this", said Monaco supporter Pierre Calmon, 50, from Toulouse, who was attending the match with his son, 16-year-old Thomas.

"UEFA is eager to continue playing and, of course, we have to keep it going but we still want to be competitive".

He added: "All of us do everything we can do".

"Last night we felt how it is to be in a situation like this". Football is really nothing after what we have experienced.

"It's all different characters and it was very inspiring to see how we dealt with it in the second half".

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.