5 advertisers say they have ditched Fox's O'Reilly show

Share

And that's why it means so much that already O'Reilly's show has lost three major vehicle advertisers - Mercedes-Benz, Hyundai and BMW - as well as ads from a growing list of other companies (seven more as of this writing) in response to the allegations and settlements.

At least 11 companies, including leading vehicle, financial and pharmaceutical advertisers, confirmed that they had pulled ads or planned to shift upcoming ads away from "The O'Reilly Factor" in the wake of reports that O'Reilly and Fox had settled five complaints made by women who have worked with him at the news network since 2002.

Meanwhile, the National Organization for Women called on Fox News to fire O'Reilly.

The New York Times reported on Sunday that settlements totaling $13 million had been reached with five women who accused O'Reilly of inappropriate behavior.

One of O'Reilly's top advertisers, Mercedes-Benz announced Monday that it would not run any more commercials during O'Reilly's show. Over the weekend, the New York Times reported that five women had received payment from either Fox or O'Reilly himself in exchange for agreeing not to sue for sexual harassment. O'Reilly is a half-a-billion dollar cash cow for Fox News, so they won't do anything about him unless they are sure it's worth their time. But, as the Times reported, The O'Reilly Factor generated $446 million in revenue between 2014 and 2016. Today, a growing number of companies are distancing themselves from his popular show, "The O'Reilly Factor", following a spate of new allegations of various improprieties.

Diet company Jenny Craig, the sixth-biggest "O'Reily Factor" advertiser, said in a statement that it "condemns all forms of sexual harassment", while declining to say if it planned to withdraw its ads from the show.

While two of the cases were previously known, the Times said it had unearthed three more cases of harassment, two of a sexual nature and one alleging verbally abusive behavior by O'Reilly.

Bill O'Reilly, a star host of Fox News' flagship cable program "The O'Reilly Factor". Or when he said that the slaves who built the White House had it okay. She also speculated that the quick action by auto brands could be related to the fact that women are "moving up the corporate ladder to decision making positions at auto companies but that isn't true across the board".

The question now becomes, will the boycott take O'Reilly down, as a grassroots boycott of now-former Fox News host Glenn Beck did several years ago? Wendy Walsh, a regular on his show, and Fox News host Andrea Tantaros have also complained abut O'Reilly's unwanted sexual advances.

He said that the "worst part" of his job was "being a target for those who would harm me and my employer", and his "primary efforts will continue to be to put forth an honest TV program and to protect those close to me".

The reporting suggests a pattern: As an influential figure in the newsroom, Mr. O'Reilly would create a bond with some women by offering advice and promising to help them professionally.

The broader legal troubles for Fox News continued on Tuesday.

O'Reilly's program has been the most-watched program on USA cable news for 14 years, recently clocking its highest-rated quarter ever.

Fox News declined to comment on Roginsky's suit. He added: "At this time, the ad buys of those clients have been re-expressed into other FNC programs".

But last summer's forced departure of Ailes, who has vigorously denied the charges against him, was a step into the unknown for Fox. The Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards clarified that its advertisements are placed on multiple channels and shows by an advertising network and that they will no longer have placements on Fox News after their "spring flight" winds down.

Inclusivity and support for women are important Allstate values.

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.