Washington state has again sued Donald Trump, asking the judge who blocked the president's first travel ban targeting immigrants and visitors from several Muslim-majority countries to extend his restraining order to the revised order.
On Wednesday, Hawaii became the first state to mount a legal challenge against Trump's new executive order - which suspends refugee resettlements and temporarily halts the issuance of new visas to citizens of six Muslim-majority countries - arguing that the travel ban would "immediately threaten grave harm" to the state.
Judge Robart has ordered the government to respond to the arguments put forward by the six states by late Tuesday, and said a new hearing would take place Wednesday at the earliest.
Also, health care may suffer as medical residency staffing will be impacted by the travel order.
If residents of the affected countries are actually denied a visa and can't get one through the expanded waiver process in the new executive order, they can go to court, but not now before it happens, the Justice Department lawyers said.
The first travel ban, signed on January 27, placed a temporary ban on travelers entering the United States from seven predominately Muslim nations - Iran, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen, Sudan, Libya and Syria.
The first version of the order, which Trump signed on January 27, triggered howls of protest at home and overseas as well as chaos at U.S. airports as people were detained upon arrival and either held for hours or sent back to where they came from.
One of the biggest questions Robart faces, Harvard Law School professor Gerald L. Neuman said, is whether to will consider the ban on its own - or consider that a court already found a similar policy to be likely unconstitutional.
"The Trump administration may have changed the text of the now-discredited Muslim travel ban, but they didn´t change its unconstitutional intent and effect", said California attorney general Xavier Becerra.
"The travel ban is scheduled to go into effect this Thursday".
Ferguson had initially announced his request for an extension of the restraining order last week, but was informed by Robart that he would need to make a formal request to the court.
"Bans like those included in this order are harmful to USA national security and beneath the dignity of our great nation", the letter reads. Other lawsuits - including one in Maryland from Cox's organization - can simply change their previous complaints instead of filing new lawsuits. The judge can choose to block the executive order - like Seattle judge Robart did for the first ban - or allow it to take effect.
The experts said the revised order would "jeopardize our relationships with allies and partners on whom we rely for vital counter-terrorism cooperation and information-sharing". Hawaii's suit cites comments by Stephen Miller, a senior adviser to Trump, that the new ban has "the same basic policy outcome". On Feb. 13, Virginia federal District Judge Leonie Brinkema ruled that the order discriminated against Muslims.
He files a lawsuit against the Trump administration, and asks for a temporary restraining order to stop the ban. Specifically, the states argue that the Executive Order harmed state colleges and universities, creating staffing gaps, precluding students' attendance, and imposed additional costs and administrative burdens.