On Monday, 4 children were killed after a deadly, toxic phosphine gas was created when water mixed with pesticide, which contained aluminium phosphide.
Officials didn't release any identifying information, including the children's ages or whether they were related.
The other nine were transported to a local hospital where three later died, Davis said in multiple interviews Monday morning.
That's when a chemical reaction occurred that created phosphine gas, which results in pulmonary edema and extreme respiratory distress.
Police said they still need to verify that phosphine gas exposure caused the four children's deaths, and autopsies are scheduled for Tuesday, but they say the story is a cautionary tale for people who search out the strongest chemical available but aren't properly trained to use them.
It was unclear how long the home's residents had been exposed to the poisonous gas.
Amarillo Fire Crews were dispatched to the home at 5:04 a.m. on a possible Carbon Monoxide poisoning call.
At last check, the children's mother was still alive but in serious condition at a Lubbock hospital, the news station reported.
Phosphine gas was likely released when someone tried to wash away pesticide Weevil-Cide that had been sprayed under the home.
Aluminum phosphide is listed in the Toxicity Category I by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - the highest and most toxic category.
"They were already getting an odor and they were trying to suppress the vapors".
Despite the carnage, police said no criminal charges are expected to be applicable in what appears to be a tragic mistake.
Davis says the family was using a pesticide that included Aluminum Phosphate under their home. "They'll wave, they're polite, they're respectful". He did not know when it would be safe for the family to return.
Neighbors told KFDA that the Balderas family was well known and liked in the community. "So they're going to need the love and support from the community and even surrounding areas to really make this happen, and at least give them some sense of normalcy".
A GoFundMe account has been set up to help cover funeral costs for the family.