Further prisoners 'to be released' from Guantanamo Bay

Share

Further prisoners 'to be released' from Guantanamo Bay

President-elect Donald TrumpDonald TrumpSchumer promises Dems will hold Trump accountable Conservative media figures celebrate Megyn Kelly's departure from Fox Graham: GOP vote to weaken ethics watchdog "the dumbest fricking thing" MORE on Tuesday called on the Obama administration to halt all prisoner transfers from the Guantánamo Bay military prison.

President Obama pledged to shut the base down when he campaigned for the presidency in 2008, and last secured the release of prisoners in August 2016.

Obama has made closing the detention facility a priority for his administration, arguing that its use has been a potent recruiting tool by terror groups and the prison has damaged USA reputation overseas.

In a tweet, he said those remaining were "extremely unsafe people and should not be allowed back onto the battlefield".

Trump has already said he will not close down the detention facility.

Mr. Obama has ignored those restrictions in at least one instance, swapping a handful of detainees for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl without giving Congress a heads-up.

The prison at Guantanamo Bay has been mired in controversy stemming from the use of torture and the deaths of detainees at the site.

The men have all been cleared by the US government for transfer and aren't likely to be tried.

Previous year the administration admitted to Congress that former detainees released from the prison had been responsible for the deaths of Americans overseas.

Earnest added that the Obama administration has not given US Congress any individual notifications of detainee transferred so far.

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.