Munich gunman planned shooting for a year, chose victims randomly

Share

Chancellor Angela Merkel is due to meet her chief of staff, Peter Altmaier, and Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere and a host of intelligence officials today to review the incident.

It is unclear if those who died or were injured when he opened fire with a pistol had been enticed by message that is being probed by police. ISIS claimed responsibility for the crime, carried out by a 17-year-old Afghan asylum seeker.

As both sides readied their talking points on an issue that has roiled Germany in the last year, a different picture of the shooter emerged: an 18-year-old with a history of being bullied, who was reportedly receiving psychiatric treatment and had an apparent obsession with mass shootings. He said medication had been found at his home but that investigators needed to talk with his family to determine whether he had been taking it.

Meanwhile, Fadil Segashi, the uncle of Armela, said she was "an example to others".

"I'm happy it wasn't a terrorist attack", says Cheyenne Holzer, a kindergarten teacher who came to lay flowers Saturday at a makeshift memorial at the site of the shooting.

The chancellor said the operation between the agencies and security forces on Friday night was "seamless" and thanked them for their "phenomenal" effort. "We have an absolutely stable democracy". "I told my parents I won't go to Oktoberfest, and I think many people won't go now".

"Such an evening and such a night are hard to bear for every one of us. They are even more hard to bear because we have had so many different and hard reports of horrors in the past few days".

Police believe this was a venue Sonboly knew and they initially thought he may have recognised his victims, although he did not begin shooting until two hours after the Facebook invitation.

He said it was likely the Glock pistol - which had been reactivated - was bought on the "dark net" market, an area accessible only with the use of special software.

Police confirmed his room in the flat he was living in had been searched and that documents of "frenzied attacks" had been discovered.

Investigators see an "obvious link" between Friday's killings and Breivik's massacre of 77 people in Norway exactly five years earlier, Andrae added.

Sonboly probably hacked a girl's Facebook account and used it to lure victims to a fast-food's outlet where they expected to get vouchers for price reductions, Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said, describing it as "particularly underhand".

Officials said the attacker was not known to them and had no criminal record.

"We found a man who killed himself".

Merkel called a special meeting Saturday of her government's security Cabinet and pledged afterward that Germany would "do everything possible to protect the security and freedom of all people", saying that, in the wake of a train attack near Wuerzburg and the truck attack in Nice, she understood Germans are wondering "Where is safe?"

Share

Advertisement

© 2015 Leader Call. All Rights reserved.